Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Bars 2 (Almond Chocolate Cracker Candy)

Do you see that white dot in the picture above? It's just off center and to the left at the top. That's the ice skating rink in Central Park.

Hopefully soon Central Park will look like this again:
It might snow this weekend. It looks like we won't have a White Christmas though, which is ok with me. Only time I've seen snow on Christmas is when I was in MN at my grandparents' years ago, so I just always expect to not see snow.

One thing I can always count on seeing is dessert! 
This recipe reminds me of the Holiday Bars I make each year. Just as good and yummy. Perfect for nibbling on through out the day.
Almond Chocolate Cracker Candy (found on Bakegirl's site)
1 sleeve Saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Spray a jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the crackers close together.

Melt the butter and brown sugar in a medium pan over medium-high heat, stirring often. Heat the mixture for about three to five minutes, until it turns a nice caramel-looking color.

Pour over the crackers evenly and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crackers. The chocolate should start to melt. Spread evenly over the crackers and then sprinkle with toasted almonds.

Allow to cool completely (on the counter or in the freezer or refrigerator if you want to speed things up) before breaking into pieces.

Erika's Extras: Note: This recipe is very crumbly. Also, I think a 12oz bag of chocolate chips works better than 2 cups. Then there is the perfect amount of butter vs sweet.
Bake well and prosper!

3 comments:

  1. Yum, these bars look delicious! Wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and a very happy new year! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make the very same thing with my aunt whenever she'd have me over for an overnight visit! It was published in the SF Chronicle eons ago as "Secret Toffee," which is where we got the recipe. Not so secret anymore, ey? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susi - Thanks! Merry Christmas to you and yours too!

    Coco - Ha! Not secret at all. Also, it reminds me of what people do with matzah bread at Passover.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB