Monday, December 28, 2009

12 Days of Christmas - Day 4

So, in the past several years, whenever I went home to TX for Christmas, I made holiday bars for one of my best friends and her family. Last year I didn't get to make them seeing my friend's son was in the hospital and the normal visiting didn't happen. :( But I made up for it this year by giving them some supernatural brownies too. :) (See: Ahhhh.....the Sweet Taste of Victory)

As I was making these bars I started admiring my fingernails. The red made everything I was doing better. Like chopping the pecans.
Smushing the graham crackers (who needs a rolling pin? I don't!)

Or pouring the sweetened condensed milk.
Aren't these pictures more festive with that splash of color?!!! Ok...whatever. It's been a long time since I got a mani-pedi. I was super excited. Leave me be in my enjoyment. (And make these bars to get into the holiday mood too and bring some enjoyment to yourself and those around you. *No painting of nails required.)

Holiday Bars (Please note: the pictures are of a half recipe. This is the full recipe.)
1/2 C margarine
1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 6-oz pkg chocolate chips
1 1/2 C shredded coconut
1 C chopped nuts (Erika's Extra: I always use pecans)

In 13 by 9 inch pan, melt margarine. Remove from heat. Sprinkle crumbs over margarine. Pour milk evenly over crumbs. Top with chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts; press down gently. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and cut into 3 by 1 1/2 inch squares.
Erika's Extra: On one half, sprinkle the nuts and keep the other half nutless (for those who don't like nuts.)(Is nutless a word? Oh my....)

Bake well and prosper!

2 comments:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB