Tuesday, June 8, 2010

C is for Charleston...and Cookie

Last week I was in Charleston, SC and that's why I didn't post anything....or at least that's the excuse I'm giving. (Don't you worry though! I still baked! I made the Malibu Rum Supernatural Brownies [There IS Nature in NYC] for a Memorial Day pool party.)

Even though my allegiance is to NY, I also heart Charleston. It has GREAT food, friendly people, wonderful music during the Spoleto Festival, nice beaches, fantastic history and historic houses, and beautiful iron work.
Every house in historic Charleston has some type of ironwork. (I think it's a law.) ;) I also think it's a law that the sky has to be the perfect color of blue during the summer.
Many of the old houses are painted in very cheerful colors (check out Rainbow Row if you go.) This house is painted with a color I shall name "Chaw'ston Orange."
After tons of shrimp 'n' grits, southern drinks, and sunshine, I headed back to the big apple. Of course, I needed some chocolate for my flight back so I bought Almond Joy Pieces (which is probably in the top 10 on my list of favorite candy.)

While eating them I realized that I HAD to use them in a cookie. So I decided to make chocolate chip cookies with coconut flour and the Almond Joy Pieces instead of the chips.

While using them, I realized that the blue pieces seemed to emulate the color of the Charleston sky.
And once I baked them, I realized that I had the perfect shade of "Chaw'ston Orange" to capture the goodies on.
The result? Well, they were yummy!
Almond Joy Candy Cookies
Use this chocolate chip cookie recipe [Mixed Messages] but substitute 2 Tablespoons of flour with coconut flour. Then use Almond Joy Pieces (see below) in lieu of chocolate chips.

Bake well and prosper!

8 comments:

  1. OOOoooh! Must. Get. Bag. of. Almond JOy M&M's!!! Got to rush back to america now to get those. To die!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...I never got my cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I was in Greensboro NC last week and I can confirm that they like fried food there.

    In fact, they really really really like fried food in a "not-healthy" way. I swear, when they stop watching NASCAR long enough to get off the couch it's fried food with a side of Crisco.

    I didn't notice any ironworks in NC (because they had deep fried the gates).

    Oh, neat cookies (that I can't eat yet)....

    All the best,

    Ron

    PS - Did I mention they liked fried food?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep buying these candies for the sole purpose of baking something with them and they never make it into baked goods! We eat them all before I get a chance :)
    Glad to see someone has better will power than me. Your cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the colors! I am sure this tastes amazing as it looks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB