Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mixed Messages

I am currently on the 13th week of my 16th week training program for the NYC marathon. It's my first marathon to do which means that I try to fit in a run anywhere in my crazy schedule of being an opera singing, church going, basketball playing, hedge fund working, social butterfly. On Tuesdays I usually run home from work.

Well, last Tuesday I realized I needed to pick up a couple things from the grocery store for the impromptu cookie "party" that I decided to host. While walking the three blocks home from the store I realized that I was a type of walking contradiction. A type of mixed message, if you will.

I don't use plastic bags whenever I can help it, and seeing I only needed three things I decided to just carry them in my hands. There I was glowing (aka sweating) in my running gear carrying chocolate chips, chocolate cake mix, and a box of margarine. This made me laugh to myself. "What do passerbys think of this?" I wondered. Maybe that I ran so I wouldn't feel guilty about eating sweets? Ha! Well, they obviously don't know me. Remember....life's too short to skip dessert.......even if one had to skip a training run.
So, about my cookie "party". Ever since I started making chocolate chip cookies all by myself (fifth grade perhaps?) I've been known for my cookies. All the way from TX to NYC, my friends love these things. Last Tuesday, an opera singer friend of mine posted on my FB wall, "Cookies soon?" So, I decided that I'd make them that night. Unfortunately he forgot he had rehearsal and had to bail. But not to fear my fellow readers! My great friend Nick came to help eat the cookies. I am quite happy to report that he had them for dinner along with some of the dough. That's my type of man! Dessert first!

And now for the recipe.....straight from the cookbook my mom made for her children many years ago for Christmas. Now you too can be known for your cookies. (Just remember the special ingredients of love and fanatical devotion to desserts. Oh, and also....remember to talk to the cookies!)
Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 stick of margarine/butter (I find that margarine will make them softer. Yum!)
1/2 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 egg well beaten
1 cup and 2 Tablespoons of flour (I use white)
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (use the real thing....imitation vanilla is a poser!)
1/4 teaspoon of warm water (DO IT! TRUST ME!)
6 oz of semi sweet chocolate chip morsels (Personally, I'm a Nestle girl.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix margarine, sugars, and egg together until margarine chunks are quite small and well beaten. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together and then stir until well mixed. Add vanilla and then mix. Water and then mix. And then add in the chocolate chips last. Place dollops of dough on cookie sheet with plenty of room between each dollop. Bake 8-10 minutes.
Erika's Extra Notes: To get very lovely and soft cookies, take out of oven when they are still fluffy/slightly uncooked looking. They will cook more while cooling. If baking two sheets at once, make sure to switch the top to the bottom and vice-versa half way through baking.

Last little bit for the blog for now....I just typed up this recipe whilst on the subway. From memory. That's how many times I have made these cookies. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Bake well and prosper!

1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB