Friday, June 25, 2010

Speedy Post

Hi! I'm in Ireland right now and am on a computer that costs €1 per 8 minutes, so I'm gonna type fast and won't type much. (The things I do for my readers....)

Last week I hosted a girl, Marie, from Toulouse, France via couchsurfing. I was lucky enough to couchsurf in Charleston through a friend of a friend of a friend, so I felt that I should try to return the favor. (I know it sounds crazy and ''hippy-esque'' but check it out: http://www.couchsurfing.org/)

Marie turned out to be awesome! Super cute, hip, vegan feminist with VERY good English.

I know....VEGAN! So, she decided to have her own boxed brownies competition. Boxed brownies vs made from scratch vegan brownies.

Once again I used a box that was given to me.
Here were Marie's main ingredients.
I watched mesmerized/intrigued. Especially when she poured the eggs into the mix. Yes...the ''eggs.''
The chocolate mix was made pretty much the way that my supernatural brownies are made, but this was vegan butter!
Well, I HATED the taste of the brownie mixture and it baked very poorly (as seen below.)
Marie's came out very lovely and moist. They came out THE WINNER!
From Marie:
So here is an approximation of the recipe. The ingredients weren't all right that I used in America, so this recipe is going to work better I think! It's the original one from the Vegansfields website:

Vegan Brownies
150gr/5 ounces dark chocolate
10gr/1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
80gr/2,5 ounces non-dairy milk
120gr/1 cup margarine
20gr/2 teaspoons egg replacement (potato starch or corn starch or proper egg replacer)
90gr/3 ounces flour
90gr/3ounces brown sugar
50gr/1,5 ounces of chocolate chips or chopped nuts or candied orange, anything you like really
1/4 teaspoon raising powder

Preheat oven at 180°C, or thermostat 6.
In a bowl, mix together flour, egg replacement, sugar, raising powder. Slowly melt chocolate via microwave or steamer on stove, cocoa powder and margarine together. When melted, remove from stove and add non-dairy milk. Mix well to get a creamy texture.
Add this cream to the dry ingredients and mix well. The batter will thicken somewhat.
Add the chopped nuts (if adding chocolate chips, wait for the mix to be completely cold before you add them, n'est-ce pas...).
Pour into a "margarined" baking pan (or line it with baking paper (?)).
Bake for 23 minutes or until the top is cooked and the inside is not liquid any more (or use the old knife trick).
When it has cooled off, put in the fridge for a night or 12 hours. Remove from the fridge 10 minutes before eating and cut in any shapes you like.

Bake well and prosper!

7 comments:

  1. how i never got my hands on one of those brownies i shall never know! they looked awesome! when are you making them again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look so yummy!!! did I mention that I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!! Must try... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegan brownies? Hmmm.. I don't know. I am skeptical about fake butter and stuff, but if you say so, I believe you :)
    Have an awesome time in Ireland. I hope you blog all about your adventures there.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Ironman logo on these brownies? I guess "some people" can't take a hint.

    A hippie vegan who likes brownies? Go figure :-)

    Yum yum.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB