Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Almond Joy Poptarts

Lalala! <---- That's me singing. Why am I singing on my blog? Because it seems like it's all I do in my free time right now. I'm happy if I get time to bake since singing has taken up most of my baking time too!

But I don't mind. Especially when I get to dress up as a countess. Check it out:
 
Pretty awesome, right?
My next costume won't be as pretty, pretty princess-y seeing I'll be playing a pants role (a boy.) Ha!

Thankfully, between that show and rehearsals tonight, I had time to bake. These "poptarts" were buttery and yummy without being too sweet.
Almond Joy Poptarts (adapted from Cookies and Cups)
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
3 oz cold cream cheese, cubed
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 egg
1 tsp water
raw, unsalted almonds for garnish

I made the chocolate frosting from my Chocolate Eclair Dessert recipe.
1/2 T butter, melted
1 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted (Baker's squares)
1 1/2 T milk
1 T white corn syrup
1/2 t vanilla
3/4 C powdered sugar (Erika's Extras: I would suggest sifting the powdered sugar)

1. In a large bowl, cut the butter and cream cheese into the flour until mixture form coarse crumbs. With your hands blend the mixture until a smooth dough forms.

2. Flatten dough, wrap in cling wrap and chill for 1 hour, or until firm.

3. To make filling combine coconut and sweetened condensed milk. (Add more condensed milk as needed.)

4. When dough is chilled, remove from fridge and roll out on a floured surface into a 17x10 inch rectangle. Dough will be very thin.

5. Cut dough with a knife into 2 x 2 1/2 inch rectangles.

6. Spoon a heaping teaspoon amount of coconut filling onto center of half the rectangles. Moisten edges with water and place another rectangle of dough of top, pressing edges together.

7.Using a fork, seal the edges together all the way around.

8. Whisk egg and water together to form an egg wash and lightly brush egg wash over the top of each mini tart.

9. Bake at 375° on a parchment lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes or until edges golden.

10. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

11.When cooled, place an almond on top of each tart. Make the chocolate topping by mixing all the ingredients together. Pour a teaspoon+ of frosting on top of each tart and allow to set.
Bake well and prosper!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Erika,

    Is that really you in the countess costume? If it is really you, you look amazing!!!

    You are always so cheerful... singing and baking these delicious pop tarts in your kitchen :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almond Joy Pop-Tarts are a delectable treat. How To Develop The combination of creamy coconut, crunchy almonds, and velvety chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB