Monday, October 1, 2012

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've realized that visitors to my blog like visiting the "My Kitchen" page. I wish I had a fabulous kitchen that looks like something from Good Housekeeping, but I live in a normal Astoria apartment (which means it's only a slightly larger kitchen than the rest of NYC's apartments.) But this doesn't mean I can't keep posting photos of things in my kitchen!

Check out what my mom gave me this summer:
It's a cute kitchen towel that says "Domestic Diva!" on it. She gave it to me since I bake a lot AND I'm "an opera diva." Ha!

Oh, and remember when I got my finger stuck in my stand mixer? (Bourbon Chocolate Chip Banana Bread) Well, I forgot to post a photo of how my finger won the fight. Here's that beater now:
Yep. It's bent, but it still works!

I had to use the mixer this past weekend when making these whole wheat cookies. While my finger gets scared at the sound of the mixer, I persevered and made some good cookies.
I bought organic whole wheat flour from the grocery store and really enjoyed working with this dough. The consistency of the dough made it so easy to roll it up into a ball.
The cookies didn't taste too different from chocolate chip cookies that are made with white flour. I just thought they tasted slightly smokey/hardier. It was a great cookie to share for the fall (and for my fellow singers during rehearsal.) 
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Green Cilantro)
Makes 18-24 cookies

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 sticks cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup dark brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 ounces chocolate, chopped into bits (I used Ghiradelli 65% Cocoa chocolate chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl in which you can use a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugars. Once they are creamy, add the eggs and vanilla. Beat to combine.
4. Add the dry ingredients in two batches and mix. Finally, add the chocolate chips and just stir to incorporate.
5. Scoop balls of dough that are approximately 3 tablespoons worth onto cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they start turning golden brown.
6. Let cool on a cookie rack.
(Erika's Extra: Eat with a nice, cold glass of milk.)
Bake well and prosper!

3 comments:

  1. Hello my favourite NY Baker!!! Long time no talk!!! I've missed you! (I've sorta disappeared from the blogging world but still have been trying to keep up reading posts!)
    Your cookies look much better than mine and have inspired me to bake some this coming wkend too :) Hp all has been well with you girl..with singing, baking and life in general :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Domestic Diva,

    Love all your "healthy" version of cookies :p I will try to eat lots of these from my computer screen and hope to gain lots of energy for my running.

    I'll be running my first full marathon in 2 weeks time. I'm getting a bit nervous but happy to eat lots of gain some weight now. LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB