Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

I make a lot of recipes from my Mom's Best Recipes Cookbook. It's a compilation of all my siblings' and my favorite recipes that she's made throughout the years. I'm sad to think that someday there won't be any desserts in there I haven't posted here. HOWEVER, while I'm still posting them, I still get to call my mom in case I have questions. How cool is it to get to go to the source who has made these recipes over and over?!
(Old picture of my mom's book and my favorite cookies)

For instance, I called my mom to inquire about the 2 squares unsweetened chocolate in the topping recipe below. I asked, "Is that baking squares, chocoalte bark/candy coating, or what?" (I HAVE made this recipe before, but it was 6 years ago!) We had a lovely discussion on how it's Baker's Chocolate Squares and that those were really all one could get back in the days in TX. Then we went on to discuss that if one square equaled an ounce, one could substitute chocolate chips for the squares or candy bars for the squares. (It's a small mother/daughter bonding moment, but allow me to geek out on it, k?)

So, without further ado (and geekiness) here's the recipe I made for a Labor Day party filled with runners. It was a hit!

Chocolate Eclair Dessert (from my Mom's Best Recipes Cookbook)

1 box graham crackers
2 pkgs instant vanilla pudding (and milk)
1 9-oz container Cool Whip

Butter 9 x 13 pan. Line with graham crackers.
Make pudding and mix in Cool Whip. Pour half of pudding mixture onto crackers.
Add another layer of graham crackers.
Pour remainder of pudding mixture over crackers and top again with layer of graham crackers. Spread topping as evenly as possible.

Topping (mix all together)

3 T butter, melted
2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted (Baker's squares)
3 T milk
2 T white corn syrup
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 C powdered sugar (Erika's Extras: I would suggest sifting the powdered sugar)

Make dessert at least one day ahead and refrigerate. (Erika's Extras: My mom's recipe says 2 days ahead, but I think it tastes best the day after.) Serve cold.
Bake well and prosper!

13 comments:

  1. my great cousin Wilbur invented 'Baker's Chocolate Squares'

    Those eclairs were to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm, that looks delicious, layers and layers of goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make something similar in our house but call it "icebox cake". It's my husband's favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can attest--these are freaking amazing. I am equal parts happy that you posted the recipe (especially because it looks so easy!!) and equal parts disappointed/scared that I can now make these any time I please ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Samantha - You could always make a half recipe. Baby steps...into the tummy! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! That looks divine! A must try!

    Great blog; happy I found you!!!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stumbled upon your blog, and all I can say is YUM! So glad I found you!

    Katie P
    Food, Wine, & Mod Podge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello New York!
    I was surprised you called these "éclairs", in France éclairs are a kind of puff pastry filled with cream and topped with chocolate or coffee frosting... actually I'm realizing now that your recipe is like traditional éclairs but with a different base!
    BTW, "choux" and french "éclairs" are super-EASY to make, so if you ever want to serve a dessert that looks fancy without the work, check these out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.jonathanfields.com/blog/horrifying-12-day-cool-whip-experiment/

    I was looking for an authentic and healthier version ( I am sure there is no healthy version of an eclair ) of the chocolate eclair and happened upon your blog. I cannot stress enough the DANGER of eating chemicals. Please note link above. Thanks for reading and I do hope to be able to stop by here again for other recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB