Friday, September 10, 2010

Early Bird Gets The Cookie

I woke up at 6 this morning to make cookies. I know this may not seem early to get up and bake to some, like people living on a ranch (I'm looking at YOU, Pioneer Woman), but it's early for me. I was scared I would wake the neighbors with my mixer!
See! Proof! I put the first batch of cookies in the oven a little after 6:30. You can see the first rays of sunshine beaming through the NYC haze and into my apartment. If I'm ever up this early it's usually because I'm working out, traveling, or traveling to work out.

Why was I making cookies this early, you ask? Well, I'm traveling to Virgina tonight with my boyfriend. We're staying at his dad's place and on Sunday he is racing in a triathlon. (I can't say running in a triathlon, because he also swims and bikes...) And of course I can't show up at my boyfriend's dad's place empty handed!
Oh, whoops...that's empty MESSY handed. And yes, messy hands are what I had for this recipe, so I KNEW they would be good.
Cinnamon Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies (from allrecipes.com)
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, brown sugar and white sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients using a wooden spoon. Mix in the oats and chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Bake well and prosper!

15 comments:

  1. I must say that these cookies look just awful and I really hope you’re not really going to give them to someone to actually eat.

    Tell you what, package them all up and mail them to me and I will make sure that they are destroyed and your reputation as a great baker will remain intact.

    You can but a plant & give it to your host.

    I know, I know, I’m a saint…..

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking cookies, love the addition of cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica Beth, you won a copy of Shibuya on my blog, but I don't have an e-mail address for you. :( Can you send me an e-mail? :) firewifekatie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies looks amazing. Cinnamon oatmeal cookies are one of my favs and with chocolate...even better.

    Glad I found your blog. Look forward to following you here.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments everyone. I gave most of these cookies away which was silly on my part...I'm already craving one again because they were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these were awesome.
    so funny watching my dad eat 4 in one sitting without even batting an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6:30 in the morning to bake cookies? Now that is cookie monster dedication :). Yummy flavour!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cookies look and sound great! I don't think I could get up at 6:30 in the morning to make them, though! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore cinnamon and chocolate together. These look wonderful! I only bake if I know I can give them away. I always regret it as well. More cookies please!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound great! I love the chocolate/cinnamon combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've baked at 4-6am too. Here I thought I was all by myself in the padded room... These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just have to say how fab your phot work is!!!! im so impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg this is now on top of my cookie-to-make list :D looks so messily goood haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB