Friday, September 17, 2010

A "Healthy Dessert"

I don't know what came over me last week, but I decided I needed a "healthy dessert" to tide me over at work. Chips Ahoy! and Oreos were just not cutting it as an after lunch dessert that didn't make me crash.

So, I researched and found a Creamy Grape Dessert.
I was skeptical about it, seeing it was being touted as a healthier dessert option. A "healthy dessert"? Sounded like an oxymoron. I wasn't sure how well this would turn out. 
I decided to grab organic supplies of what I needed to make it even HEALTHIER! Someone stop me! (I already had sugar and vanilla, so those were the only conventional ingredients I used.)

Can I just say how grateful I am that my mom gave me some new knives? She got them for free and I became the owner. Cutting two pounds of grapes in half with my old dull ones would have been so painful!
With my new knife I cut through those pretty grapes in no time at all, and this made me happy.
(I'm sorry! I can't help it! I see faces in a lot of things I do!)

Anyway, the dessert was easy to make and actually tasted GREAT! Since the recipe makes plenty, I've been enjoying it at work all week long. Guess it showed me that desserts CAN be healthy AND yummy!
Creamy Organic Grape Dessert (from Delightful Bitefuls who adapted it from: Skinny Taste)

Ingredients
1 lb green seedless grapes, washed and dried well
1 lb red seedless grapes, washed and dried well
8 oz sour cream
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping
4 tbsp brown sugar, packed
1 cup chopped pecans

Directions
Cut grapes in half and set aside. Mix sour cream, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until blended well. Stir grapes into mixture, and pour in large serving dish. Combine brown sugar and crushed pecans. Sprinkle over top of grapes to cover completely. Chill overnight or until ready to serve.
(Erika's Extras: To make it even healthier, use lowfat cream cheese and lowfat sour cream. Also, don't use the white sugar. Grapes and brown sugar make it sweet enough.)
Bake well and prosper!

5 comments:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB