Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Almond Joy Cake

I've been on a mini hiatus from my beloved dessert blog. Not sure if you noticed... But don't worry, I'm back! I was swept up in a whirlwind of travelling to Texas which involved sorting through my childhood memories, having a yard sale (good bye stuffed animals!), running a half marathon, and hanging with friends and family. It was fun and busy. I had a brief respite from the busy while on the plane back to NYC, but once I landed I hit the ground running.

I finally had time to bake this past Saturday. I decided to make a cake for an Oscar's Party (seeing last year's was such a success). Unfortunately I was so exhausted from all my activities that I didn't go to the party and ended up sharing with coworkers on Monday. (There are some perks of working with me. Only some though.) ;)

A couple of happy points about the cake:

1. I used my grandmother's mixing bowls that I brought back from TX. (I'm in love with them.)
2. I made a bundt cake version of the cake.
3. Which meant that this already messy cake was even messier! 
4. Mess!
5. Almonds scattered on floor messy mess! 
6. A scrumptious and pretty cake.
Almond Joy Cake
I used the chocolate cake recipe from my Blog Birthday Cake
Chocolate Cake (from allrecipes.com)
Ingredients
1 cup margarine
1 3/4 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
 
For the topping, I used a recipe from cooks.com
Ingredients
14 oz. shredded coconut
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. sugar
24 lg. marshmallows
1 stick butter
1/2 c. evaporated milk
Toasted almonds

While cake is cooking, mix the following: 1 cup evaporated milk and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add marshmallows. Stir until dissolved. Add coconut. Pour over hot cake until completely covered.

Heat the following until it boils: 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup evaporated milk and butter. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips until melted. Pour over cakes and top with almond chips.

Erika's Extras: There will be more topping than needed for most cakes. Just save the toppings to use on vanilla ice cream. Just warm up a little bit and add on top. Mmmm!

Extra tidbit: I shared a piece with my neighbor and she loved it so much she had me make it for her mom's birthday. Here it is in circular form. Still gorgeous!

Bake well and prosper!

11 comments:

  1. I did miss your recipes! Glad you had a fun time with family and friends. Love those bowls you inherited from Grandma :o)
    This cake looks delicious and considering that almond joy is one of my favorites I bet I would really enjoy this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one beautiful cake! Wow!! Totally bookmarking this!

    Great blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed looking at the mess that you made yet the bundt cake is so beautiful made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I've missed you my messy friend! You've been so busy lately AND you made this beautiful cake. I think it is only fair that I help you eat it now. Its too much work for one girl ;)
    *kisses* HH
    p.s. must buy bundt pan

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha what a mess ;) but looks so delicious- i'd love to have you as my colleague!
    i still cant part with my childhood stuffed toys...mb one day! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am just drooling over this cake:) it looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your mixing bowls. They are so retro. I can picture them being used by a lady with pearls, a apron and high heels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara - Well, my grandma definitely wasn't any of that. But, I like the image.
    Vivienne - How many stuffed animals do you have?
    HH - I definitely had PLENTY to share. :)
    Susi - you've gotta make it (and try it double layered with some of the coconut topping in the middle.
    Mary, Zoe, BBKD - I'm glad you like it! :)
    Thanks for all the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So yeah, I was thinking of trying to get some coconut filling in the center of the bundt cake, but the directions say the coconut mixture needs to go on hot cake. Could you wait until the cake is cooled enough to cut it in half to place the coconut goodness in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  10. RetroMama - What a great idea! Yes, you should have no problem waiting for the cake to cool and cutting it horizontally and adding the coconut goodness. You wouldn't need as much as the recipe calls for. I would cut the recipe in half at least. You could also make two circular cakes and place coconut filling in middle of those. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB