Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Blueberry and White Chocolate Chip Cookies

The groundhog lied. Like, big time lied. If you've seen Spring, please send her to NYC, because it's still wintry here. The high temp on Sat was 34. THIRTY-FOUR! As you can imagine, I've gone a little bonkers. I even refused to run outside because I'm tired of bundling up. Me, who ran a half marathon in 3 degree wind chill, can't stand the thought of running in 30 degree weather at THE END OF MARCH. That's it, I'm moving back to TX.

One saving grace has been a lovely art installation on Park Ave, just a couple of blocks away from where I work.
Every time I see these, my spirits soar.
There's something uplifting about seeing giant roses. (And cute giant lady bugs!)
This whimsical "love letter to NYC" is by Will Ryman. Read more about The Roses on Huffington Post.
Another thing that has helped lift my spirits this long winter is good food, wine, and conversation. Which reminds me, I MUST share with y'all that I saw Martha Stewart at the Little Owl, where I had the pleasure of dining last Thursday. Seeing her there made me know I was in for some great food. (And man, was it!)

Speaking of good food, these Blueberry and White Chocolate Chip Cookies have helped in the cold days here in NYC. (They have lemon and nutmeg in them. A great pick-me-up!)
Blueberry White Chocolate Cookies (adapted from Blisstree)

½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup shortening
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup dried blueberries
1½ cups white chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or silpat (if you like using either).
2. Cream together butter, shortening, and both sugars. Add eggs, vanilla, and lemon peel; beat until well blended.
3. Mix dry ingredients together; stir into creamed mixture. Blend well; add dried blueberries and white chocolate chips. (Erika's Extra: I used my Oh! Nuts dried blueberries. So flavorful!)
4. Drop by generous, rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment baking sheets. Keep cookies about 2″ apart. Bake 8–10 minutes, removing from oven when just barely done.
5. Cool on pans 5 minutes; remove to cool

Yields 4-5 dozen depending on size and how much dough you eat

Erika's Extras: I felt like the amount of white chocolate chips was a little overbearing. I ended up having so many at the bottom of my mixing bowl. I would go with 1 cup of white chocolate chips.
Bake well and prosper!

14 comments:

  1. I would have gone with 5-cups of white chocolate chips (assuming I get to clean the bowl).

    Great photos.

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of putting blueberries in a cookie... these look amazing! Especially with the white chocolate! I'm bookmarking these for the next rainy day. Which will probably be tomorrow, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blueberry/white chocolate combination sounds divine! Now I really have to order some of these dried blueberries.
    The roses would make me smile as well, as does the ladybug :o) Hope the weather improves soon, it is supposed to be in the upper 90's here by the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies are so lovely. I hate when the weather is cold and chilly. I signed myself for a half marathon in July which is in the middle of winter in Melbourne. I hope that it will not be too cold for me to run. Are you serious about moving back to TX?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bluberries in a cookie sounds marvellous. What a dashing combination. Almost makes you feel like it's really good for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. Everyone is correct by thinking that the blueberry/white chocolate goes well together. It really does!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FYI - No, I will not be moving back to TX. However, this winter might be the cause for a bunch of people leaving NYC.
    I AM moving...but just to Astoria, Queens. More on that in a future post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that sounds awesome. I don't cook, but I eat!? Hmm.. I need to leave this somewhere for my wife to trip over it. Thanks.. -Jay (@Tri2Thrive)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been to both TX and NY and both have their individual beauty but I still prefer living NY. At this moment, I love living In Melbourne, Aus and would prefer not to leave this beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look absolutely incredible.! They pari so well, right? Berries and chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies look delicious! I love the idea of using spices like nutmeg in baking. Thanks for sharing.

    ps - I feel for you waiting for some sign of Spring - one thing I don't miss about home is the freezing cold!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i saw that flower art installation on Park Ave. the other weekend when i went with my mom to check out that quilt show at the Armory.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB