Monday, March 14, 2011

White & Semi-sweet Chocolate Chip Cookies with Caramel Bits

My last two posts referenced items I brought from my parents' home in TX to my tiny apt in NYC. I talked about my grandmother's mixing bowls and my mother's sifter. Well, I also brought back something I used to own and "bake" with.
When I found this in a box I squealed with joy. When I was little I loved putting on my "Little Cook" apron. My mom would give me some pie dough to use my "to0ls" on. It was perfect bliss. Especially when my mom's pies came out of the oven.

Well, the apron is a little short on me now, but who knows. Maybe I'll use it and the tools once in awhile. You know...to make sure they still work and stuff. Yeah... 
Anyway you look at it, one cannot deny that I don't have a kid's attitude as well when it comes to making cookies. I decided to experiment with a child's joie de vivre and created my version of a toffee chocolate chip cookie that I found on tastespotting. The cookies weren't as soft as I like cookies to be, but the flavor was incredible!
White & Semi Sweet Chocolate Chip Cookies with Caramel Bits (adapted from Rebel without a Sauce)
*Makes around 20 medium sized cookies
½ cup sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
½ cup (1 sticks) butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
¼ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup caramel (chopped into quarters or smaller)

-Preheat oven to 375°f/190°c and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. (Use parchment paper or you'll have a sticky mess to deal with.)
-Add sugar, dark brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla in a bowl and beat whisk until smooth.

-Add baking soda, salt and flour to the sugar mixture and *whisk together until smooth.
-Fold in chocolate chips.
-Create a tablespoon full or cookie scoop full of the dough and press a couple of the caramel bits into the middle area of dough. Make sure no caramel is exposed to the sides/bottom becuase the caramel will ooze out and burn on the cookie sheet.
-Drop the dough onto baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
-Bake for 5 minutes, rotate the baking sheet and then bake for another 5 minutes.
-Remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

(I had to bake my cookies for about 12-15 minutes.)
Bake well and prosper!

PS My mom asked if I could share a link of my opera singing on my blog. In honor of her request, I've made a silly slideshow with me singing Que fais-tu from Romeo and Juliette. If you've made it this far to the bottom of my post, then this treat is for you and your diligent reading! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOtqXmDsApo

18 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you are so incredibly talented! Your voice is simply stunning and how did I miss that you sing opera?
    Your apron picture made me LOL. It is too cute and what a treat that your mom kept it all these years.
    Last, but not least, these cookies sound incredible. Love the addition of the gooey caramel. They would not last long around here :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look so wonderful. Cute post, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, these look so good! I've been in a white chocolate mood lately, but have had no motivation to make anything. And your apron is adorable! I wish my apron had little pockets for all my baking stuff. It would save all that time I spend running around looking for potholders & spatulas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol you crack me up! im sure those little tools will come in handy when you need to make something mini.
    btw, the sticky toffee is such a great idea in cookies! yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little apron is so cute!!!

    Your cookies are simply fantastic! And, I wonder too if you are wearing your little apron when you are baking these cookies :p LOL

    I love all your posts. Very heart warming...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for everyone's comments! I wonder if there is a "follow up" apron - like a "Big Chef" apron. The pockets for the pot holders are a must! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daaahling, is there no end to your talents??? Cute, funny, looks fab in an apron, makes yummy cookies, runs marathons, AND you are an opera singer??? OMG!!! You rock daaaaahling!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks so delish! thank you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies look like my PERFECT cookies!! And you're rocking that apron :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. The apron is too cute! I hope you're enjoying NYC. Although I've never been, my sister lived there for 8 months.
    And the cookies sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PLEASE tell me that when I get home tonight there will be a FedEx box full of these cookies waiting for me….. Please.

    Awesome (x2)

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look sooooo good! Putting caramel into them is a fantastic idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm these look fabulous! I was torn between caramel bits and butterscotch chips for my latest cookies but decided to stick with the latter. That apron is adorable, by the way. Love the handy pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you are interested to buy some customized aprons of just ordinary aprons maybe you can read this http://paidcritique.blogspot.com/2011/07/aprons-for-sale-at-apronpointcom.html so far they sell various kinds of Aprons in the market.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB