Sunday, March 7, 2010

And the Oscar goes to.....

Whoa! What is that?!!!
I’m sorry. It looks like our regularly scheduled program has been interrupted and replaced with a dessert. *whispering to stage manager* Ah, yes. Well, it looks like we’ll just have to talk about dessert instead of the Oscars.

This is just fine seeing I made a FABULOUS cake for my friend’s Oscar party tonight. I was inspired by someone I would give a food Oscar to for cutest food presentation. Once again, I have been inspired by Bakerella for my dessert this week.

I decided to make my own version of Peanut Butter Cup Cake.

Confession: I've never made a double layer cake. But, if I do say so mayself, I made pretty ones today:
Another confession: I've never made creamy cake icing like this recipe calls for from scartch. I've usually bought it from a can or made something different for frosting. I know....it's shocking. But once again, if I do say so myself, I made a pretty frosting:
*furious whispering to stage manager* What is THAT picture doing up? I was on a whole "pretty" roll!!! *sigh* Yep. Those are my hands after using said pretty frosting for said pretty cake. Pretty, ain't it?

Peanut Butter Cups Cake (from: http://www.bakerella.com/got-milk-i-hope-so%e2%80%a6/)
1 devil’s food cake mix
3 eggs1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups chopped peanut butter cups (plus more for garnishing – I used 2 bags)
8 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Line with wax paper and coat paper.

In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil on low for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides after 1 minute. Fold in 2 cups of the chopped peanut butter cups.

Pour batter into pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Cool cakes completely.

Place chopped dark chocolate in a medium bowl. Bring cream just to a boil and then pour over chocolate. Whisk until chocolate melts. Add peanut butter and whisk until smooth.

Trim each cake layer so the tops are flat. Place one layer on a cooling rack and pour 1 cup frosting on top. Spread evenly with a spatula. Add second layer and pour remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Smooth out with spatula.

Allow frosting to set for a minute and gently press remaining chopped peanut butter cup pieces all over top and sides of cake. Place in refrigerator for about an hour to set. Remove and serve.

Erika's Extra: I opted not to put the chopped peanut butter cups in my cake dough to cut some of the peanut butter flavor. When putting the cakes together, I put some smaller chunks in the icing in the middle of the two cakes.

Bake well and prosper!

12 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD. AMAZING.

    can i be a helper next time you do something like this? like for instance, when you are done with that chocolate covered mixer thing, just hand it to me and i'll take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So there were not enough yummy calories in the cake so you "opted" to add the additional billion sweet sweet calories via the peanut butter cups on top? Was this your way of making sure no one mistook the cake as a basic chocolate cake?

    I'm also assuming you used some of that Hollywood C.G.I technology to make the cake look so amazing in the photo. I mean come on, who makes something look so good the first time they make it?

    It's official, I hate you ;-)

    Another great post.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, when you finish your ultra super man iron buster thingy, let me know and I will over night you a dessert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are my evil hero...that looks amazing!!! i'm literally drooling! nice...i blame the next 5 lbs I gain on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made double layer cake too, this looks so yummy! I got to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam - This was super easy. I'm now thinking about doing some fancy stacked cakes a la wedding cakes. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWFUL!!! The cake crumbled when it came out of the pan (and yes it was sufficiently cooled), the icing is not icing...it's chocolate/peanut butter milk! I had to add 3 times the chocolate chips and peanut butter that the recipe called for and it was still runny! This was suppose to be my son's birthday cake...instead I ended up with Frankenstein's baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! So sorry to hear this. I don't remember having any issues with the icing. Did you only use a cup of the heavy cream? Either way, so sorry to hear that your recipe didn't turn out and was a monster cake. Never fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I only used one cup of cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm...I was only asking because my coworker said she didn't know there was a difference between whipping/heavy cream and cream for coffee.
    Well, this makes me sad that the recipe didn't work out for you. :( I'll have to revist the recipe soon and check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB