Sunday, January 31, 2010

Egg on my fingers (you thought I was going to say face, didn't ya?)

There must be some professional way to separate an egg. I am sure there are videos on youtube about it. However, I've never researched the topic. Instead, I gingerly crack the egg and break it apart while keeping the yolk on one half. Then I pray and cross my toes that while I transfer the yolk back and forth in the shell halves that it doesn't slip out with the egg white. Well, I am usually successful. I just end up with some egg on my fingers. So, here's a lovely recipe that requires the separating of an egg. Enjoy!

Double Chocolate Miniature Cakes (from my Mom’s Best Recipes Cookbook)
3-oz pkg of cream cheese, softened
1 egg, unbeaten
1 egg yolk, unbeaten (save white)
sugar
salt
1/2 C chocolate chips
3/4 C water
1/3 C salad oil (aka vegetable oil)
1 egg white
1 T vinegar
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 C flour
1/4 C cocoa
3/4 t baking soda
silvered almonds
(I used this for my cocoa. Silly Cow Farms. How could I resist?!)

In small bowl at medium speed, beat cheese, egg, egg yolk, 1/4 C sugar, and dash of salt until smooth; then stir in chocolate chips. Set aside. In large bowl bowl, combine egg white, water, salad oil, vinegar, and vanilla; beat well with fork. Sift into this flour, 1 C sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and 1/2 t salt. Stir with spoon until well combined. (See the two finished mixtures below.)
Fill each cupcake paper about half full with cocoa batter. Onto center of each, spoon 1 T cream cheese mixture. (Smaller if you are making minis)
(Isn't that picture beautiful? Doesn't it make you want to cry just thinking about all those mini cups of goodness?!)

Generously sprinkle tops with sugar and almonds. Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until cupcakes are golden. Cool in pans 10 minutes; then remove to rack to finish cooling. Makes 15 large cupcakes, or ~30 minis.
Bake well and prosper!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Erika! LOVE your blog..and love the fact that there are excess baked goods in need of a home only one floor away! Did I mention I have 45 bottles of wine in my apartment? Oh yeah. So you provide the baked goods and I'll provide the libations. We could even run off the calories! So glad we chatted!
    Come visit...Michael (5J)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good that I want to try them and I don't even bake!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB