Monday, January 4, 2010

12 Days of Christmas - Day 11

UPDATED 11/18/10 with new picture:
It has been tremendously cold here in NYC. So, as I was flipping through my mom's best recipes cookbook, the McIntosh-Oatmeal Cookies popped out at me. It sounded like such a wonderful cookie to go along with my fire in my laptop fireplace. I could pretend I was sipping hot cider and munching on these cookies while sitting by a fire at a ski lodge. Funny thing is, I've never been to a ski lodge let alone skied. Ha!

As I was preparing these cookies I realized something.....I had never peeled an apple before. So, of course, I took a picture of my first apple peeling experience and yes, it was messy. So messy that I can tell you what it is like to have a slice of apple fall on your feet.
And yes, that orange thing in this next picture IS a bird shaped peeler.
McIntosh-Oatmeal Cookies (from my Mom's Best Recipes Cookbook)
1 C unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 C flour
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla
2 large eggs
2 medium McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and diced (about 2 C)
3 C oatmeal
1 C raisins
3/4 C walnuts, chopped

In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed. beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and eggs; beat until just blended, occasionally scrapping bowl with spatula. Stir in apples, oats, raisins, and walnuts.

Drop dough by level 1/4 C, about 3 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 350 degrees until golden, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating cookie sheets between upper and lower oven racks halfway through. With wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

Bake well and prosper!

2 comments:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB