Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Key Lime Ice Cream Sandwiches

I meant to make this recipe LAST summer. Good thing recipes keep. 
 
This past weekend was another fun-filled summer weekend in NYC!
 
Fri I went to a club. (Yes. ME. At a club! It was actually more fun than I remembered from my early 20s...)
 
Sat morning I enjoyed sun bathing on the roof of my apt.
Then I made these messy ice cream sandwiches and brought them to Hoboken, NJ where my friends made a lovely dinner and we ended up competing in a potato sack race! (Pardon the blurry photo.)
Sunday morning I woke up early with my best running friend and we headed to Governors Island for a 10K. It was hot but we rocked it!
 
Then I went to South Street Seaport area for brunch and walked around an outdoor market with a friend from TX.
Then I went to Astoria and played basketball with my running group.
Afterwards some of the players had a nice dinner al fresco and we got to see the supermoon.
 
It was a lovely (albeit super busy) weekend with a lovely dessert - the way I like my weekends! 
Did I mention that these were quite messy?
Yeah, they started melting very quickly. Next time I will plan to freeze the ice cream in a glass pan so I can cut out the correct shape and easily lift it with a spatula onto the graham crackers. I highly suggest you do this if you make the recipe because then you won't be cursing yourself for having frozen too much in a big container (like I did.)
 
The ice cream was very creamy and tasted just like key lime pie. The zest from the limes mixed with the sugary tartness of the key lime juice mixed perfectly with the creaminess of the condensed milk and whipping cream.
Key Lime Ice Cream Sandwiches (from Cookies & Cups - check out this post for great step by step photos)
Ingredients
3 cups heavy whipping cream (Erika's Extras: I used organic)
1/2 cup sugar
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (Erika's Extras: I used organic)
3/4 cup Key Lime juice (Erika's Extras: I used organic)
1 Tbsp Lime zest (Erika's Extras: I used organic)
approx 12 full graham crackers, broken in half to create 12 sandwiches
 
Instructions
In stand mixer with whisk attachment whip 2 cups heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form, approx 2 minutes.
Turn speed to low and pour in sweetened condensed milk. Turn speed up to medium high and beat 1 minute.
Finally add lime juice, remaining cup of cream and and zest and beat approx 1 more minute on medium-high.
Pour mixture into freezer-safe container and freeze for 5-6 hours until almost frozen. (Erika's Extras: I would pour into glass pans for easy slicing later.)
Once frozen, spread about 1/4 cup mixture on top of 1 graham cracker at a time, topping with the other half of the cracker. (Erika's Extras: This is where cutting them out of a glass pan would come in handy.) Wrap in cling wrap and put back in freezer. Repeat process until all sandwiches are made.
Freeze 2 hours more, or overnight.
Serve frozen
Bake well and prosper.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Erika,

    You are making me missing my summer...

    The weather at Minneapolis was pretty good when I left ... They didn't have Spring as it was cold and summer just suddenly appeared. Sad that I had only a short stay at USA.

    Will love to have ice cream sandwiches when summer arrive at Melbourne.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB