Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Brandy Slush (a great summer cocktail)

I had a lovely weekend.! I was busy doing things I wanted to do. Isn't that always nice? Most of my weekend involved hanging out with friends.
 
Friday night involved a birthday party at a beer garden.
 
On Saturday I hosted a poster making party.
I have been waiting for a summer party to be able to make these brandy slushes. When I tried this recipe in April in Texas, I fell in love with the slight tangy flavor created from the lemonade, oj, and tea mixed with the kick of alcohol. I knew my running buddies would enjoy them while making great running posters. I threw in some fun colorful straws and let the good times roll.
The good times ended up involving glitter which is now all over my apt. But it was worth it. Plus, the glitter is a visual reminder of the fun weekend. :)
Saturday night I went to an engagement/album release/going away party (for which I made this cake.)
 
Sunday morning I brought all the posters to Central Park. The other poster makers were running in to the park and I handed out the posters to their owners when they arrived to cheer on the racers.
Why am I dressed at a flapper you ask? Well, it's because after the race I went to Governor's Island for the Jazz Age Lawn Party.
I love Governor's Island and so does my best friend from college who came with me. We had so much fun! Maybe too much fun...
After all that fun, we headed back to my place and quenched our thirst with a brandy slush, naturally!
Miraculously after such a busy weekend, my aptartment was still rather clean. Can you imagine?
Also, since the Brandy Slush recipe yields a large amount, I've still got a container left in my freezer and ready to go for THIS weekend.
Brandy Slush(recipe from a friend of my family)
Make at least 12 hours in advance.
 
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
7 cups water
3 family size ice tea bags (about 9 normal sized teabags)
1 12 oz. can frozen orange juice
1 12 oz. can frozen lemonade
2+ cups brandy 
 
Mix the sugar and 5cups of water over the stove until the sugar is dissolved. Then cool.
 
Bring 2 cups of water to boil and add teabags. Steep covered until cool. Then add sugar water to tea along with the frozen OJ, frozen lemonade, and the brandy.

Stir until dissolved. Pour into plastic freezer containers (any size or shape will do), cover and freeze for at least 12 hours. 
 
When ready to serve, fill glass 2/3 full of slush and add ginger ale (or 7-Up) to fill glass. Stir a little with a fork and add a stemmed cherry (optional) and serve. Can also be served as a punch in a punch bowl.
Bake well and prosper!

5 comments:

  1. What a big weekend. Great recipe, but I think there is a typo. 35 cups of water with the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. Good catch. That should be 5 cups of water. I've changed it now. (35 cups of water would be one watered down beverage!) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And I’m glad reading your article. Thank for sharing!
    More tips here
    click for more info

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB