Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Before I got to the beautiful outcome of the whoopie pies (seen above), I had this scary outcome:
I had put everything together and the dough was so sticky. I tasted it and it just tasted like flour. I was mortified and scanned the recipe to see what I missed.

Oh. There it was. I am embarrassed to report this, but I missed the SUGAR!

So, to get this
Out of this
I did the only thing to do. I added the sugar even though it was supposed to be added at the very beginning. Wow. What a difference that made! (I felt like such a rookie, but  you know what, it turned out fine!)
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (from allrecipes.com)
Ingredients
Cookies:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 cup 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
1.For cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or line four baking sheets with parchment paper.
2.Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in large mixer bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin and vanilla extract; beat until smooth. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Drop by heaping measuring teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets. (A total of 72 cookies are needed for the recipe.)
3.Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until springy to the touch. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with Whoopie Pie Filling.

For filling I used the recipe from my Oatmeal Whoopie Pies.
Filling
1 egg white
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup shortening

4.To Make Filling: Beat egg white. Mix in the milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup confectioners' sugar. Beat in the shortening and remaining 1 cup confectioners' sugar. Beat until light.
Bake well and prosper!

11 comments:

  1. those look amazing!
    glad you overcame the scary dough!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!
    I'll have to make those for Thanksgiving, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these were amazing! I had the chance to have mini-muffins made from the dough which would sell out any bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good that the pies turn out to be good and not "scary" eventually :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, confession, i once made banana bread without sugar and couldn't figure out why it tasted so gross LOL.
    I bet your finished whoopie pies tasted amazing though.
    Just wanted to wish you and your family a really fabulous Thanksgiving. May you always have much to be thankful for.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. My boyfriend and I were just in America visiting his family and he couldn't stop eating the (store-bought) whoopie pies! I think I need to make this recipe for him! Thanks a million :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB