Thursday, November 4, 2010

Banana Bread with a Kick

I have a problem in my kitchen. No, it's not my normal spilling of flour. You see, I have only three cabinets that came in my small, humble abode.  
Oh? You like those "stylin" door knobs?
Yeah. Those came with the place. I bet you are super jealous. Anyway, the doorknobs are not the problem. The problem is my baking supplies (especially since a coworker gave me a bunch of items she can't use.)
Yeah. The bottom shelf was originally for my coffee mugs. Ahem...
*sigh* Yes, that WOULD be coconut, chocolate, and Ritz crackers pouring over into the space for my glasses. The thing is, my OTHER cabinets (the ones I brought when I moved) are stuffed with baking pans, utensils, and the basics (flour, sugar, brown sugar, etc.)

You know the only solution to this dilemma? Yep. I better bake more. :)
Banana Bread with Chocolate and Crystallized Ginger (the "kick") (from Food, Wine, & Mod Podge)
1/2 C butter
1 C sugar
2 eggs
2-3 ripe bananas (I generally freeze very ripe ones to save for this recipe)
3 T milk
2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 C mini chocolate chips
1/4 C finely chopped crystallized ginger

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Add bananas. Add milk, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until smooth. Fold in mini chocolate chips and chopped ginger with a spatula. Pour batter into a large greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, lower temperature to 300 for another 15-20 minutes, until outside is browned and a toothpick comes out clean.

Erika's Extras: This is the first time I've ever lowered the temp for banana bread. It worked wonders! Also, I find that this bread goes really well with Chai tea.
Bake well and prosper!
Crystallized Ginger on FoodistaCrystallized Ginger

8 comments:

  1. Geez... I thought I had a small kitchen! And yes, I am SUPER jealous of those stylin' door handles LOL!
    Love the sweet and spicy banana bread, those flavours are right up my alley.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. One positive note, at least you can reach the top shelf. Just image the hardships a dwarf or hobbit, if you will, has to go through to gain access to his/her sprinkles and Pam cooking spray.

    Silver lining opera singer ;-)

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no problems with you baking more and posting your yummy treats on this blog, yes, I'm a selfless person ;o)

    Your banana bread looks great. I never thought of pairing bananas with ginger. Fantastic idea! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ginger would for sure add a really nice kick to your banana bread. Thanks for a new recipe to try out.
    Good luck with the cupboard crowding. I have a pantry that is need of an over haul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. erika! this looks delish! i love ginger and would have never thought to put it in bread. nom nom nom.

    i'm going to make some post marathon! hooray for (my) baking season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this bread was so awesome! i took it to work and people were raving about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ciao, I like your blog, pics and your recipes.
    I've got a blog too http://cookingmanu.blogspot.com where I love sharing recipes and ideas.
    LOL Manu

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB