Sunday, April 11, 2010

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

Because I bake a lot (who, me?) I always seem to have miscellaneous this and that left over from various recipes. The other week I decided to make chocolate chip cookies and add some of the extra ingredients that were hanging about my kitchen. First, instead of a cup and 2 Tablespoons of flour, I used a cup of flour and then 2 Tablespoons of coconut flour. Then, I added all the almond slivers I had, some oatmeal, milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, and white chocolate chips. See? I decided to name these "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies" because, well, that was pretty much everything but the kitchen sink that I threw in. I brought these scrumptious delights to an opera I was performing in. They were a huge hit. But then again, what opera singer doesn't like cookies?

Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies
1 stick of margarine/butter (I find that margarine will make them softer. Yum!)
1/2 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 egg well beaten
1 cup of flour
2 Tablespoon of coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (use the real thing....imitation vanilla is a poser!)
1/4 teaspoon of warm water (DO IT! TRUST ME!)
And then throw in what you've got left in YOUR kitchen. :)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix margarine, sugars, and egg together until margarine chunks are quite small and well beaten. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together and then stir until well mixed. Add vanilla and then mix. Water and then mix. And then add in the extras last. Place dollops of dough on cookie sheet with plenty of room between each dollop. Bake 8-10 minutes.Erika's Extra Notes: To get very lovely and soft cookies, take out of oven when they are still fluffy/slightly uncooked looking. They will cook more while cooling. If baking two sheets at once, make sure to switch the top to the bottom and vice-versa half way through baking.

Bake well and prosper!

7 comments:

  1. I guess we should be thankful that you were not baking with tofu, liver and onions last week.

    I hope the Opera went well and thanks for posting more photos of stuff I can't eat right now.

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool recipe. I love it that you used coconut flour. I have some at home and I'm itching to use it.
    They look delish.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron - I wish I could go up to Boston and be at 3 different raqce locations with goodies while you're running the marathon!
    HH - Coconut powder has changed my life! lol I can't wait to use it in pancakes. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where the heck does one get coconut flour?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marjory - Hmmmm...my friend gave it to me, but it should be available at Whole Foods. This is the one I use: http://www.iherb.com/Bob-s-Red-Mill-Organic-Coconut-Flour-Gluten-Free-16-oz-1-lb-453-g/10965?utm_source=pg&utm_medium=c

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB