Monday, January 5, 2015

Apple Croustade

This past weekend my roommate had the urge to bake. He had a big bag of apples that he needed to use so he decided to make a crispy/flaky apple pie. He layered the phyllo dough along with a bunch of melted butter in my spring form pan since I didn't have a tart pan.
 
Even though the butter flowed onto the bottom of the oven and created a smoky apartment for a little bit, this tart turned out beautifully. My roomie asked if he could put his pie on one of my cake stands and I said yes.
 
It looked so pretty on my sturdy, white ceramic cake stand that I just had to snap some photos. After I was done, he went to the kitchen to clean up and I went to my room to get ready to head out for the evening.
 
Then we heard a pop. We couldn't figure out what it was at first but then my roomie saw that the cake stand had two cracks in it. I went over to touch the stand and *CLINK* *CLUNK* *WHAM*! The whole stand started crumbling in front of our eyes.
My roommate ran to get another cake stand but it was going to be too late so I did what any baker would do: I put both of my hands under the pie so the masterpiece wouldn't join the ranks of the broken cake stand. I moved it via my hands to another cake stand and then we just looked at the broken cake stand in bewilderment.
The pie had cooled before it went on the ceramic, but we're guessing the heat that was left bugged some weak spot and *POP*!
 
RIP cute vintage cake stand. Hello yummy phyllo dough and butter encrusted apple pie! It was SO delicious. I highly suggest using this recipe for a different take on the normal apple pie. (Just don't put it on an old ceramic cake stand!)
Apple Croustade (Flaky Apple Tart)
recipe found here: saveur.com
Bake well and prosper!

7 comments:

  1. Happy 2015, Erika!!!

    I'm so sorry to see that you have break your cake stand... but does this mean that you can buy a new one??? :p

    At least your beautiful apple tart get a short period of fame on it :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khushboo Ice Cream is one of the TOP Ice Cream Manufacturers in India. We are known to be faithful in manufacturing world class quality best ice cream made with pure milk and cream. The Ice Creams we make available are known for delicious taste. The Ice Creams are made using fresh ingredients in neat and clean conditions. More Ice Cream Flaovour avail Family Pack Ice Cream, Candy Ice Cream, Natural Ice Cream, Novelties Ice Cream, Cone Ice Cream etc. If you are looking for Ice Cream Manufacturers, then look no further and connect with Khushboo for the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes your are absolutely right, you don't skip it specially when it is your favorite one, apple croustade is one of my favorite, thanx for sharing this amazing recipe, Now it's time to avail african gowns for ladies for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Helpful infor. for desert lovers!
    Are you a fan of sweets? Love sharing photos of decadent desserts on Instagram? Look no further than vipbioz.com for some irresistible dessert food captions for Instagram.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB