Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Cacao Nibs

Did you know that when you buy cacao nibs they are never ending? At least that's how it feels to me. It's like the chocolate that keeps on giving. 
 
In my kitchen I had an abundant smount of cacao nibs and a couple of ripe bananas. What to make was a no-brainer. 
 
Then I wondered what else I had that I could use to make this banana bread different. Whole wheat and buckwheat flour became the answer.
 
This yummy banana bread was the love child of all those ingredients mixed together (plus some others.) The wheat factor compliments the cacao nibs and creates a subtle smokey flavor.
 
I shared with my next door neighbors. I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did. Maybe next time I'll also add some bourbon to the batter...
Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Cacao Nibs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2  teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 medium bananas)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup cacao nibs + more for the garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the mashed banana until just combined.

Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and cacao nibs. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread to distribute it evenly. Sprinkle on some cacao nibs on top of the batter. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Bake well and prosper!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erika,

    Chocolate + banana = happiness!!! I don't think that your neightbours will or should not enjoy this great gift. This looks wonderful :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika! Bourbon banana chocolate bread?! You have a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the coca nibs and how can you go wrong with bourbon?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB