Sometimes I feel like a mad scientist in my kitchen. Or at least a genius. (Maybe they are one in the same?)
My coworker's bday came around again (as it tends to do in August) and I had to try to trump last year's loved dessert: Lemon Pull Apart Bread.
She loves lemon, so I had a theme to work with.
Last year I had devised a way to make the Lemon Pull Apart bread with Pillsbury Seamless Dough Sheets. So I again turned to them to make up this new recipe.
My mad scientist/genius kicked in and I formulated a great idea for a breakfast treat that involved parts of three different recipes! The dough and lemon filling from the Lemon Pull Apart Bread, the technique used in the popular Mini Cinnies recipe, and the frosting adjusted from Orange Drop Cookies. Muhahahaha!
The results were SUPER lemony, which made my coworker SUPER happy.
This is a great breakfast roll and also works well as an afternoon snack especially with some strawberries on the side.
Super Lemony Breakfast Rolls
Ingredients for rolls:
2 cans of Pillsbury Seamless Dough Sheets
1 C white sugar
zest from 6 lemons
2 T butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
2. Place the sugar in a bowl and rub the lemon zest in with the sugar.
3. Unfold one baking sheet and with a pastry brush or small spatula, spread half the melted butter on the dough.
4. Add half the lemon zest over the unfolded dough.
5. Roll the dough short side up.
6. Cut 2-3 inch slices and place all the rolls on a cookie sheet.
7. Repeat steps 3-6 for the other dough baking sheet.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the top is golden.
9. Cool for 10 minutes and add frosting on top.
Ingredients for frosting:
2 T soft butter
1 T grated lemon rind
2 T lemon juice
2 C powdered sugar
Blend and spread on rolls when they are mostly cooled.
Or, if you like, you can make just the rolls and not add the frosting. Still yummy!
Originally from Texas, I've lived in NYC since 2005 and have been "making it work" in my small kitchen since 2008. My life in NYC consists of juggling a full time job, singing in small opera companies, running races, and baking desserts.
All in all:
I like cookies, therefore I am.