Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lemon Pull Apart Bread

My rule for my coworkers regarding their birthdays is: If it's coming up and you want something, let me know because I'll bake it for you. It's very much "Ask and you shall receive."

Well, my coworker, Mel, always let me know that she expects something with lemon. (I can already hear her now, "I didn't EXPECT it. I just wanted it." Details details.)

Lucky for her I found a recipe for lemon pull a part bread on Buttered Up.
Lucky for me I found exactly what I needed to make this recipe much faster: Pillsbury Seamless Dough Sheets! I was planning on using the biscuits that I use for my Monkey Bread (aka Pull Apart Rolls) until I found these lovely things.

The bread turned out to be delicious and exactly what we needed in the office after an earthquake. Yep, I felt the earthquake way up on the umpteenth floor that I work on. Mel did too. And you know what? It was nice to have a coworker that likes desserts and likes to evacuate when the floor shakes while we're so high up in the sky. It was a pleasure and a relief to have a like-minded coworker to rush down all those stairs with!
Lemon Pull Apart Bread (my easy adaption)
2 cans of Pillsbury Seamless Dough Sheets
1 C white sugar
zest from 6 lemons
2 T butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a loaf pan (9x5).

2. Place the sugar in a bowl and rub the lemon zest in with the sugar.

3. Unfold one baking sheet and with a pastry brush or small spatula, spread half the melted butter on the dough.

4. Cut the dough into 4x3 rectangles and add half the lemon zest over the rectangles.
5. Stack the rectangles one on top of each other and transfer into the loaf pan. You will want the cut side down (the longer of the sides.) 
6. Repeat steps 3-5 with the other dough.

7. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool for 5-10 minutes and invert loaf to release bread.
 Bake well and prosper!

32 comments:

  1. I love, really I love sounds delicious and I love lemon! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever! And sharing it with coworkers is the best way to avoid eating it all by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet of you to bake for your colleagues' birthdays. This easy and delicious lemony bread is such a clever idea. I'll be happy if a colleague bake this for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been seeing these pull apart breads all over the bloggosphere, and although they look so yummy, they look like so much work. Your little cheat is totally inspired! If only we got those dough sheets here!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only reason I would need to make pull-apart-bread is if I was planning to share and I would not be sharing this.

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! This looks scrumptious. I always enjoy visiting here. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I enjoy the time I spend here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Justjumping back in to thank you for returning my visit. I hope you'll stop by often. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. could you use something other than lemons like apples or something

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be making this. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a definite 'try me' and I am so glad to have Wegman's around here as they are the only place I know of that I can get the seemless sheets and I have used them for so many recipes - love, love, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi all! Thanks for leaving a comment. Checking up on the comments on this blog just make me want to make this recipe again. It's so good!
    HH - You can use biscuit dough and make it like the monkey bread recipe.
    Casey - You CAN use other things. Check out this monkey bread recipe where I used apples: http://lifestooshorttoskipdessert.blogspot.com/2010/10/apple-day-monkey-bread-with-apples.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What about a lemon drizzle for the top? Would that be too much lemon? (As if there is such a thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. some kind of caramel nut version would be great...but who doesn't love lemon!? @Karen Mathews...There is no such thing as too much lemon...the drizzle sounds super!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen - A lemon drzlle would be lovely. The recipe I adapted had a cream cheese frostin as optional: Cream cheese icing (optional)
    3 oz. Of cream cheese, at room temperature
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1/3 cup of powdered sugar, sifted

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds really good but have one question...when repeating steps 3-5 are you making a 2nd loaf or placing this on top of the first stack?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This would also be WONDERFUL with orange... and maybe a few sprinkles of pecan added in! YUMMMM~

    ReplyDelete
  17. When repeating steps 3-5 you need to use the other dough sheet and keep stacking on the side to fill the loaf pan.
    Lori - Ooo! Orange and pecans with a cream cheese frosting. I think we have another good post on our hands!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Anonymous - it looks like one long stack. When you repeat steps 3 - 5, you should place the 2nd stack at the end of the first stack.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks!! That makes sense. Can't wait to try it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG yum! I see a jalapeno/cheddar version in my very near future....glad you posted about the bisquits in case I can't find the sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can also use regular Creasant rolls just unroll the sheet on non stick surface press out all the perferations and make it one solid sheet (very simple to do) then continue with Erika's recipe

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wonder if lemon icing would work....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds very good! Can't wait to try this out...with the icing of course!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm baking it right now. We just put it in the over. Hope you smell the lemon-yum from West Texas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks so good and loving lemon, this could be a favorite! Can't wait to make it...thanks so much for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my, It was so good. We had to bake it a little longer but well worth the wait. I love all of the other suggestions too... wow

    ReplyDelete
  27. Newcomer to this blog-- thanks to Pillsbury advertising it on my facebook wall. :) This bread is currently in my oven, making my kitchen smell delightful. Thank you for reccing this recipe and brightening my day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have SO MANY lemons in the backyard. This is definitely going into my recipe box. I love baking with lemons and this looks pretty simple! (Anything with pillsbury is super!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want to make one of these for our Texans tailgate on Sunday! I just have to decide what flavor to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Btw, I had to include this on my lemon recipe idea round up! Thanks for the idea, again!

    http://www.canyoucomehome.com/2011/10/when-life-gives-you-lemons.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. How about a simple dinner or a party dish by adding chicken and veggies, Pampered Chef style but simpler construction!... Love this Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB