Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Banana Nutella Empanadas

A week ago I visited the cutest store in my new neighborhood, SITE. They were celebrating their 4th anniversary with discounts, goodie bags, and empanadas. The banana nutella ones were SO good that I was determined to try to mimic them as soon as possible.

This past weekend I went to my coworker's Cinco de Derby Party. I figured it was the perfect event to bring banana nutella empanandas as dessert.

To make it even more perfect, I bought (for the first time ever) butter from the farmer's market in Union Square.
About a year ago I bought eggs from the farmer's market and I am convinced that the eggs make better desserts than what I get from the grocery store. Maybe it is because they are fresher. Maybe because they are free range? Maybe because they are local? Who knows. But since they've never failed me, I decided to also try butter from a local farm.

All I have to say is that these were a hit! I'd like to thank the eggs and butter!

(Oh, and I used the eggs and butter in cookies I made last night - post coming soon - and the batter was some of the best I've eaten. Mmmm!)
Banana Nutella Empanadas from Recipe Goldmine
Yields 16 (2 per serving)
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/3 cup ice water
1 large banana, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 cup Nutella
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Directions
Place the flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Using 2 forks or knives, or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a cornmeal texture. This step also can be done in the food processor, using the pulse button, making sure not to over-mix. Add the water all at once, stirring gently with a fork just until the dough comes together. Form dough into a 6-inch square, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a separate small bowl, stir the chopped banana into the Nutella just until combined. It will thicken and become stiff.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide in half. Roll out each half to a 14-by-8-inch rectangle, 1/4-inch thick. Using a square or round 3-inch cookie cutter, punch out 8 pieces per half. Place 1 heaping teaspoon of the Nutella-banana mixture onto each dough cutout.
Brush the outer perimeter with water, folding the sides together to form a pocket. Pinch the edges together with a fork, brush with a little water and sprinkle with sugar.
Freeze on parchment or foil-lined baking sheets for at least 15 minutes. (The empanadas can be made up to this point and may be frozen for up to 3 months.)

Bake the empanadas until golden, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Serving ideas: Serve warm with cinnamon ice cream or whipped cream.

Bake well and prosper!

19 comments:

  1. These look so good I want to eat my computer screen. I love Nutella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have baked with the farmer's market butter and I have to agree that it made far superior scones than grocery store butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gals!
    Lefty - Right? I just wish they came in sticks! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh i totally agreee - the eggs i get from the market are SO much better than from stores (altho slightly more expensive).

    recently had my first empanadas (better late than never!) it was savoury tho with chicken and leek fillings...so good! im sure this sweet version is as delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree too that the farm eggs and milk are the freshest! Banana and Nutella are always the best partners in "marriage". Being all wrapped up in a form of empanadas can be so yummy...I like this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could easily eat half a dozen of these. Banana and Nutella are one of my fave crepe fillings, so I know they'd pair together beautifully in flaky, buttery empanadas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christy - Thanks! I enjoyed eating the leftovers for the next 2 days after I made them. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just finished making these literally. They are tasty! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want those!!!!!!! I am totally feeling the Nutella love!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hands down the most tempting empanada flavor I've ever encountered - can I please nom on one? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jazzy - For real? Did you eat them right out of the oven? I hope so. They are best that way.
    HH - Nutella = awesomeness all the time
    Xiaolu - If I had any left I'd let you nom on one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Erika,

    My name is Henry Uribe III, an intern with BZ events out of Austin, TX. We're an event planning company, our main event is weddings. Every week we post a blog about wedding-related material or things we love. We absolutely LOVE your nutella banana empanadas and we would like to feature it in this week or next week's blog as an everyday treat or wedding dessert. We made the empanadas last week for the office and they are DELISH!!! Can we post your photo & recipe on our blog? Please be assured, we will attribute your name and blog to the recipe and photo. I look forward to hearing from you. If you would like to check out our blog here is the link: http://bzevents.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love bananas and nutella together and I do it in an egg roll wrapper. I have to try these, they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I noticed in your picture that the butter you purchased was salted, but the recipe calls for unsalted butter? Did you used salted butter?
    Does it make a difference?
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catarine - Good catch. It doesn't matter which butter is used. Recipe will be tasty either way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any time you can get farm fresh eggs, grab them! As " farm fresh" producers, our chickens are free range and given high quality free choice grains, which produce outstanding eggs! Happy chickens= great eggs! Happy Baking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This recipe looks excellent. Going to make them today for an upcoming event here at our place. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB