Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Vegan Breakfast Cookies

Confession (I feel like I confess a lot on my blog...) - I've never used coconut oil before. This recipe calls for it and I was scared that I wouldn't even find it at the grocery store. But there it was in the "European and World" food isle.

When I opened it up at home I was surprised to see it was in a solid form. I guess I was expecting more of a liquid oil. I was concerned I would never get it blended into the cookie dough. But then I researched it online and found out that it usually comes in solid form and softens very quickly in heat. I let out a sigh of relief.

You can make these cookies with normal chocolate chips, but since I had vegan chocolate chips on hand I decided to use those. Therefore it made the recipe vegan.

I really enjoyed these as did the few people I shared them with. One friend said, "I could eat a couple of these each morning." To which I said, "Me too. In fact, I think I ate 5 this morning!"
Vegan Breakfast Cookies (Modified from uTry.it)
Ingredients
2 bananas (preferably ripe or spotty bananas)
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Then, mix the remaining ingredients into the bananas until well combined.

Allow the batter to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. With a mini ice cream scoop (about 1 tablespoon), place the batter onto a baking sheet.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
Bake well and prosper!

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful. :) So glad you tried the recipe. Yes, I can eat 5 of these each morning as well. Thank you so much for trying the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika,

    I must confess too that I don't really baking with coconut oil. Please don't get me wrong I like cooking vegan recipes too but didn't like the saturated fat of coconut oil... Ironically, I prefer to use butter instead :p

    Saw these cookies at Amy's blog too. Other than coconut oil, everything else in recipe seems yummy and healthy to me. I reckon these will be fantastic as lunchbox treats for kids :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an easy recipe and cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a vegan recipe, so you know I HAVE to comment ;).
    I do have coconut oil on hand but I don't use it very often... If you don't either, I suggest you keep yours in the fridge as mine went rancid once, when I kept it in the cupboard. Apparently it contains mono-insaturated fat, which is actually a good kind of fat. You know what's sad? I have all the ingredients to make these but I'm on a (added) sugar-free diet at the moment :(. I might try them without the cranberries (they have added sugar over here) and with 85% cocoa mass chocolate... We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoe - Not to worry. I was tempted to make them with butter too! lol
    Marie - Good to know about the coconut oil going bad. I was skeptical when it said I could just leave in a cupboard. No added sugar diet? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I added a bit of homemade almond butter to help them stick a little more. I had added chia seed and some leftover pistachios and ground almond. I LOVE coconut oil. For people who said they didn't like coconut oil, I recommend reading "the coconut oil miracle." We buy our coconut oil by the gallon from Tropical Traditions, an incredible company, using both Virgin and Expeller Pressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TBF - What great ideas! Chia seeds and pistachios. YUM! (I also love almond butter!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB