Monday, July 12, 2010

A Man Named Ron

Woohoo! I'm back to baking and this blog post has a recipe.

So, while I was in Ireland, (Wait.....real quick! Check out my cute oven mitt and pot holder from Ireland! Look! A Black sheep. This goes well with my goose measuring cups, giraffe teaspoons, and alligator rug. :) Yay!)
It says baaa! So cute!
Ok...back to what I was saying. While I was in Ireland, a loyal follower of my blog and a fellow running friend on twitter decided to swim, bike, and run in Coeur d'Alene. This is an IronMan race, which means it's a race that only crazy people do. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and 26.2 mile run. Um, that's 140.6 miles altogether and that's just wrong!

Ron's been teasing me in his comments on my blog posts that he deserves a dessert after this race since he didn't eat too many sweets while training for this insane event.

Well, the joke's on him because today in the mail is a box of goodies. One of the treats happens to contain these:
Mmmmm! Rolos. (I'm not sure what kind of joke sending cookies is, but just go with me folks.)

I stumbled upon the recipe for Rolo Cookies and my eyes liked what I saw. Seeing the Nerd's Wife is a Texan, I knew I could trust her recipe. (Interesting fact about me today: I was born and raised in Texas.)

Moving on.

Check out the thickness of this cookie dough! It was crazy. And yet, it wasn't thick enough to completely stick to the beaters. Please note the mess on my fridge on the left side of picture.
These cookies were very fun to make because they involve doing a magic trick.

Place Rolo in dough. Now you see it....
Now you don't! TADA!
Rolo Cookies (from thenerdswife)
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of flour
3/4 cups cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 pkg Rolos
A bit of sugar for garnish

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Beat sugars and butter until fluffy.
Add vanilla and eggs to mixture.
Beat until combined.
Combine flour, coca, and soda.
Add flour mixture to fluffy mixture.
Unwrap the Rolo candies. (Erika's Extras: I found it helpful to unwrap the Rolos before I even started making the batter. It takes awhile to unwrap them!)
Shape about a teaspoon of dough around each Rolo.
Be sure to cover it completely.
You want it to be about the size of a golf ball.
Press one side of the dough ball into the leftover sugar.Place sugar-side up on a baking sheet, about two inches apart.
You'll end up with about three dozen cookies. If you don't want to make that many right away, just put the dough balls in a Ziploc bag and freeze them.
Bake for eight minutes until the edges start to crisp.
Erika's Extras: Wait to cool a bit, and then devour when the rolo is still slightly warm and gooey. Mmmm!

Let's see a close up of these. Super yum!

Bake well and prosper!

13 comments:

  1. ron - i sampled these last night to make sure they were safe and WHOA! these may be some of erika beth's greatest creations yet! i was only allowed to eat 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, all I have to do is complete an Ironman and I get 36 cookies? What a deal!! Of course now I'll need to sign-up for another one to offset the caloric deluge of Rolo yumminess (I think that's a word).

    Oh, and as the recipe clearly states three dozen cookies I will take inventory of the package to make sure *somebody* didn't help themselves to my reward.

    You are officially my favorite opera singing baker in the entire world.

    Thank you,

    iRONman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These look like they might be the best cookies EVER! I LOVE Rolos. I just hope it gets cool enough so I can bake again without getting heat stroke! Thanks Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So. Freaking. Sinfully. Delicious. They ARE the best cookies ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo those look too good for words!!!! so nice of you to bake for ron :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!! This just sounds really good!! Chocolate and caramel is a great combination!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! What a cute blogger you are. I noticed you just took a trip to Ireland. I lived there for about 6 months while I studied Food Science. How did you like it? Beautiful landscapes for sure.
    Check me out if you get a chance!
    www.form5artisan.blogspot.com

    Cheers!
    Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love rolos, and those cookies look so yummy! Hot out of the oven I bet they are simply divine (if u dont burn yourself on caramel--but I'm a risk taker that way LOL).
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favorite cookies. Nothing better than gooey chocolate and caramel in a cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! So different than the usual Reese's peanut butter cup or Hershey's kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute are those?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this cookie recipe, it is like a reward in middle as you eat it! I am surprised I did not think of it until I saw it here, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam - I know! That's how I felt when I first saw the recipe. I LOVE Rolos. Maybe they'd be good in a cupcake too....hmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB