Friday, December 14, 2012

Boston Brown Bread with Golden Raisins

Last post from all my baking last week! Woot! (Or maybe this is a sad thing?) Either way, this post is actually a repeat, sort of. I've made Boston Brown Bread before. But I've always wondered what it would taste like with golden raisins.
My friend was a huge fan of these the last time I made them and recently he begged me to make some more. So then I had a reason to try it with golden raisins.
 
It was good, but I think I like the normal raisin version better. However, my friend loved the golden raisins. To each their own.
 
(Wrap them up for a cute looking baked-goods gift.)
Boston Brown Bread (from My Mom's Best Recipes Cookbook)
1/2 C molasses
1/2 C sugar
2 1/2 t baking soda stirred into
2 C buttermilk
1 t salt
1 egg
2 1/2 C wheat flour
1/2 C all-purpose baking flour
1 t baking powder
1 C golden raisins plumped

Combine ingredients. Stir. Grease and flour 5 15 oz cans. Fill about half full with batter. Put cans on a baking sheet or a large pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes with a cookie sheet covering cans. Uncover. Bake for another 10 minutes. Once done baking, remove from oven and then remove bread from cans when still hot. Use a knife around the edges to gently pry out.

Erika's Extra: BBB is best served warm and with butter on top and makes an especially good treat for breakfast. Mmmm!
Bake well and prosper!

3 comments:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB