Friday, June 24, 2011

Quick Post - Musical Cake

I made a cake for my church's end of the season choir party. I even got fancy (if you consider twizzlers fancy.)
I quickly snapped a couple of shots before it was devoured.
I had made the cakes in the morning, transported them via subway, and then I made the frosting at the party. It was delicious.

OK. Told you it would be quick. Enjoy the weekend!

Chocolate Cake (from allrecipes.com)
Ingredients
1 cup margarine
1 3/4 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

Buttercream Frosting
1 stick softened butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter. Beat in the sugar and the vanilla. Pour in the milk. Frosting should be at a good texture, but feel free to add more milk to change the consistency of the frosting.

Bake well and prosper!

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow. It's so pretty! I didn't even know it was made with Twizzlers til you said so. It definitely takes some skills to make a treble clef out of candy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for transport!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't imagine traveling at the subway and carrying a great cake like this...good that you decorated the cake at the party and you did well...I will stress out doing this!

    Btw...the run that I will be going is Run Melbourne on 17 July. I have not enrolled myself yet as I'm hoping for not-so-bad-wintery weather before I decide to pay about $100 for this run...Fingers crossed!

    Website: http://www.runmelbourne.com.au/home.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry - The treble clef was made by the tenor in my choir! lol
    Subways are just the way of life here so I guess I get used to carting my precious goods around the metropolis. :)
    Zoe - That race looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow how creative is this! Great idea and execution =D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB