Monday, May 23, 2011

Potpourri: The Best Gelato in the World - The Bent Spoon

OK. I'll admit it. I've only had gelato in America and Italy so I can't completely back up my claim of the best gelato in the world. But seriously, come on. Better than ITALY!

While in Tuscany in 2008, my mom and I tried many a gelato place. (I get my sweet tooth from her.) I kept thinking, "Hmmm...this isn't as good as The Bent Spoon." It was about our 3rd gelato in Italy when my mom said to me, "All this gelato is nice, but it's not as good as The Bent Spoon." Great minds think alike.
The Bent Spoon is located in Princeton, NJ. My undergrad campus is located about a 10 minute walk away. No, I didn't go to Princeton, but you can think that if you'd like. I have no problem with that.

But I digress. I worked at Small World Coffee while in undergrad. Little did I know that I was working alongside some highly talented chefs who would eventually open up The Bent Spoon - Gabby and Matt.

This duo happen to LOVE LOVE LOVE New Jersey which means tons of lovely and fresh ingredients from local farms. When I visited two weekends ago, Gabby was so excited to see me but even more excited for me to try a freshly picked organic strawberry. She even gave some for my friends to try. Nick turned to me and said, "I've never had a strawberry as great as this. It's amazing...mind blowing really." Well guess what. Those strawberries get to be made into sorbet. I wish I could have stayed around to try that batch of goodness.

My choice of gelato for the day was dark chocolate and vanilla bean.
It was DELICIOUS as always. I do have to admit that I went with a nice, easy, normal, and tame combo. I could have choosen the local goat cheese, chocolate orange, nutty caramel etc etc. But hey. There's nothing wrong with going with a classic. (You can call me boring...it's ok. *sob*)

Oh, I must talk about the other things there. Some of the yummiest chocolate chip cookies, caramel brownies, and cupcakes you'll find in NJ. Also, there's sorbet!

So, what are you waiting for? Go visit The Bent Spoon and enjoy the best gelato in the world. :)
Bake well and prosper!

7 comments:

  1. I wish that I can have a spoon of this delicious gelato. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does one bend a plastic spoon? Wouldn’t it just break? Cute nail polish (btw)

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of this place, and I hear it is fab BUT have you tried Grom???? It is my favorite. There are 2 in NYC. My favorite flavour is crema de grom. It is to DIE!! And you have got to get the whipped cream, its not the aerosol stuff, its the real thing.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha im also 'boring' as well...well the classics/originals are always the best ;) altho id love to try the goat cheese flavour one too...hmmmm. if im ever in NJ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm I wanna try -- haven't had gelato in years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB