Wednesday, October 20, 2010

An Apple a Day - Apple Pancake Surprise

Did you just pick a bunch of apples/buy a bunch of apples too?
I went to Terhune Orchards in Princeton, NJ this past Sunday and went hog apple wild with picking!

I LOVE apples. I have apples in my fridge all year round, but everyone knows fall is the best time to get them from local orchards.

So, in an effort to help everyone out with their apple excess, I introduce to you:
For the next couple of days I will be posting apple recipes. First up: a recipe I made up last night.

I recently bought an apple corer and thought to myself how lovely it would be to encase a slice of apple in a pancake. So, without further ado, I bring you:

Erika Beth's Apple Pancake Surprise
Ingredients
One apple (I used a Stayman Winesap)
Pancake mix (I used buttermilk)
(Egg or whatever else your pancake mix calls for)

Directions
Core an apple.
Cut apples into very thin slices.
Start heating skillet or pan.
Make pancake mix acording to directions.
Pour a small amount of mix onto pan and firmly press an apple slice onto batter. Cover top of apple with a thin layer of batter.
Let cook on one side for longer than you would a normal pancake and then flip.
Make sure the other side is done well before serving. (If not, the batter by the apple will still be gooey!) If some batter escapes when flipping, feel free to scoop the pancake up after done and roll it on its side on the pan.

Cool slightly and then pick up and eat with hand. It's so delicious, no syrup needed. Sprinkle powdered sugar on it if you must.

Check it out:
These seem like normal pancakes.
Surprise! There's an apple in the middle!
Bake well and prosper!

9 comments:

  1. Love the healthy surprise. And very pretty too with a tint of pink inside the pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! these look great! so... will you make me some for dinner tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with apple pancakes in Germany. While not quite the same, the principle is. It was always one of my favorite dinners. We used to eat them on the side with a big bowl of soup :o) Looking forward to more apple recipes from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susi - Awesome! It must be the German part of me that thought this would be a good idea. Soup on the dies sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is just way cool. I've got a ton of apples, and I love apples, but unfortunately the ones that grow in my back yard aren't really eating apples. Still, I think i could use them for this recipe. Very creative!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fabulous. It is a really cool variation of “magic” pancake. Instead of having an Apple inside and it has an egg underneath.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB